DAMPROOF MEMBRANES DO I NEED ANY?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
josieanne
Labourer
Labourer

by josieanne » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:31 pm

hello there, could someone advice me on whether i have to put some sort of membrane ( and which one) on the wall before i put foil back plasterboards on? its going on a cold solid wall that kitchen cupboards will be attatched to also this wall has suffered from penatrating damp. appreciate your advice.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:50 pm

josieanne,
If its a cold solid wall do not seal it by using either a membrane or foil backed PB. Condensation will form on the wall side of the sealing surface and will exit at the bottom.
end

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Have you cured the rain penetration coming through the wall?
Has the wall dried out?
Using a foil backed plasterboard will trap that damp and slow its disappearance.
Although the damp will move outwards over time (provided its not being replaced by more rain.) Damp always moves to cold, so cold windy times will help.
The idea of a foil backed plasterboard is to stop/inhibit the movement of water vapour from inside the room, into the wall.
If the plasterboard is fitted correctly then the water vapour/damp will not move into the wall, therefore a membrane is not required.

Trying to fit cupboards over a plasterboard wall will be difficult. IT WOULD BE BETTER TO WET PLASTER.

josieanne
Labourer
Labourer

by josieanne » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:36 pm

THANKS FOR THE REPLY, WE HAVE SEALED THE WALL ON THE OUTSIDE WITH A WATER SEAL ITS JUST I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT PUTTING A NEW KICHEN AGAINST THIS WALL BECAUSE THE KITCHEN THATS IN STINKS OF MOULD AND ARE DAMP. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD JUST INVEST IN A DEHUMIDIFIER AND JUST GET IT REPLASTERED AND IT SHOULD BE FINE?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:28 pm

josieanne,
Solid outside walls will always attract condensation so you will have to accept this but try to minimise moisture in the kitchen. Fit extractors over the hob and oven and over the sink - if you can get the one over the sink working on a humidistat so much the better.
end

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm