Damsel with a flat roof needs help! Please!!
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diygirl
Labourer
Labourer

Damsel with a flat roof needs help! Please!!

by diygirl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:29 pm

I have a 1930's dormer bungalow and have just discovered that the flat roof upstairs is starting to leak. So far it's not too serious - just the top of the wallpaper in one room is a bit wet, but as the roof is old (30+ years) and has had botched repairs by previous occupants I need to get it sorted before the ceiling collapses :(
I've had one quote so far which was over £1200 - I don't have anywhere near that kind of money, but the roof needs to be sorted before winter.

I've been looking at DIY options using EPDM, and have looked at the project pages here. It seems relatively simple, the one bit I'm unsure of is where the flat roof joins onto the pitched roof. The contractor who gave me a quote said the ridge tiles needed replacing. Is this a job that's doable by an enthusiastic amateur? I desperately need to get this job done soon as cheaply as possible.

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!!! :cry:

ieesparks
Labourer
Labourer

Re Flat roof leaking and ridge tiles

by ieesparks » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:36 am

Hi Diygirl,

Your flat roof, firstly you need to establish how bad the flat roof lining is. It is ok to repair the felt but if the foundation (roof boards) of the roof has been ingresses by water this then has to be rectified before you proceed or you will just be wasting your time as the problem will not go away.

The ridge tile, most ridge tiles are easy to do 8) ...depending on what type of ridge tile they are depends on what you need to do beneath them...if you can email a couple of picture of the roof and the ridge tiles it will give me a better idea of what is needed...advice on a blind situation is a little difficult...if you can send pics do not have anyone sunbathing on the roof :oops: as this will block the view.

Regards Stormin

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:24 pm