Dead Lighting - Help required please
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CraigL
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dead Lighting - Help required please

by CraigL » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi

Tried to change a bulb in my living room light fitting, which promptly blew out when I turned the switch on.

Have replaced the bulbs again, checking I hadn't exceeded the voltage etc and now nothing happens.....little confusing as all other downstairs lights still work.

I've now taken the fitting down to check connections, as it was installedby the previous occupants, and the connections seem fine.....any ideas what could of happened?

Thanks for any help in advance

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:19 pm

The metal bits in the fitting might have melted or welded together, get a new fitting

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:54 am

Good chance its the connections in the lamp holder it self have shorted & need checking.
The other possibility is that it may of blown the dimmer if you have one fitted.
If the dimmer has blown, the fault must be rectified 1st before replacing the dimmer.

CraigL
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CraigL » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks for this, have replaced fitting, and it is on a dimmer switch..how do I go about replacing this?

Assuming the fault was in the old fitting, I should have now solved the issue, so now I can replace the switch, is it literally a case of replacing the entire switch..?

Thanks in advance

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:46 pm