Dead socket, no/missing breaker connected??
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jewfarmer
Labourer
Labourer

Dead socket, no/missing breaker connected??

by jewfarmer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:03 am

while trying to install a range hood in the kitchen, i accidentally shorted the power wires. I went to find the breaker that would have switched off, but could not find it. Meanwhile, the socket beneath the power line i would connect to the range hood also stopped working. I checked my connections several times and also the breakers and boxes everywhere to find this connection. Since the power in that area has stopped working I can't think of a way to get power back in that part of the kitchen :(

Any ideas? There are NO tripped switches anywhere and there is no isolator switch that i know of there. I don't want to call an electrician because I'm poor right now and stuff... : \

Any ideas?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:22 pm

I will have a guess there is a fused spur somewhere. Found one behind a cupboard in one house could be anywhere.
Eric

jewfarmer
Labourer
Labourer

by jewfarmer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:18 pm

I came up with that conclusion too along with 5 other people. lol I just don't even know where to begin looking for it... Is there a way to find out where a fused spur would be such as tracing the lines?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 pm

The permitted zones is best clue. Also there are cable tracers that may help. Power to down stairs will normally come down and there should be no diagonal cables.
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 pm