Dead wall socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Darin
Labourer
Labourer

Dead wall socket

by Darin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi,

First post and I apologise in advance for not using all the correct terminology.

Have a wall socket in the kitchen that appears to be dead. It's a single, under a work surface, and usually has the dishwasher plugged in to it. It's worked fine for many years. The house is 9 years old.

The fusebox looks fine - nothing has tripped. Have even tried switching off all the electric with the main trip but this hasn't reset it.

I've tried plugging a kettle in to the socket but no power so I know it's a problem with the socket.

I'm open to any suggestions or criticisms :roll: :oops: Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks :)

mortyni
Labourer
Labourer

by mortyni » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:34 pm

HI,SOUNDS LIKE YOUR SOCKET HAS BECOME FAULTY OR MAYBE A FAULT AT THE BACK WITH THE CONNECTIONS.SWITCH OFF THE SUPPLY AT THE FUSE BOARD, UNSCREW THE SOCKET FRONT,CHECK CONNECTIONS,IF THEY LOOK OK CHANGE THE SOCKET FOR A NEW ONE.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:30 pm

I know this may sound silly but most under unit sockets have isolator/ fused spur above some where controlling it

Darin
Labourer
Labourer

by Darin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:13 am

Mortyni - had a look but all connections appear fine. Thanks for the suggestion though.

[quote="sparx"]I know this may sound silly but most under unit sockets have isolator/ fused spur above some where controlling it[/quote] Yes it may sound silly but you found the route of the problem :oops: Found the isolator you referred to some way along (and above the work surface) - in fact it was almost on another wall.

This isolator was switched off (first time it had been "knocked" off in 9 years) - tucked behind a bread bin. :roll: I didn't even know this switch existed.

Thanks very much for your help.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:53 am