decking led strip lights for steps - whats the best way to wire up?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
checkmate
Labourer
Labourer

decking led strip lights for steps - whats the best way to wire up?

by checkmate » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:29 am

Hi Guys

My decking is on verge of completion and wanted to install LED strip lights on steps.

My concern is, i have 9 steps.

If i buy say a 20m length and cut to size. I will then have to power each up. Which means 9 plug points?

Is there a simpler way to connect all LED strip light to one circuit?

I have 5 steps towards end and 4 towards start of decking. Any ideas appreciated

thanks in advance

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: decking led strip lights for steps - whats the best way to wire up?

by ericmark » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:37 am

A LED is a current controlled device each white LED is around 3 volt. So having a current controller called a driver one is normally limited to 48 volt so 3 into 48 equals 16 LED's from one driver.

Where the driver and LED's are combined as a package then often one needs a set voltage rather than current.

Unfortunately lighting manufacturers seem to set out to confuse people and call some constant voltage power supplies drivers as well as the constant current ones. So one has to read the spec very carefully.

Constant current is very good for long runs as all lights at same brightness. This is actually used with run way lighting transformers for each lamp are wired in series not parallel like most lamps.

So your question is down to package bought. You may be able to cut and extend but it is not a one size fits all and it depends on what you buy. Some can be cut some can't.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:05 pm