decking over paving slabs
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrispsykes
Labourer
Labourer

decking over paving slabs

by chrispsykes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum and I’m obviously after some advice! I’ve got a small patio garden which looks terrible, really old paving slabs which are all over the place. I’d really like to do decking over the top. I’ve done quite a lot of research on this and I think I can do it. There’s one thing that worries me though- (not sure how to word this!....)what’s least amount of height needed? It’s just that I’m worried about being able to open my back door! The gap between the bottom of the door and the top of the paving slab is about 15cm- do you think I’ve got enough space? Or if not, would I be able to take all the slabs up, and deck over whatever’s underneath? Thanks a lot for any help you can offer :) . Chris

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:53 pm

chrispsykes,
Set treated bearers (75x50) on mortar dabs on the paving slabs to give a level base and fit the decking on this. Don't use a continuous bed of mortar or you will trap rainwater.
end

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: decking over paving slabs

by TheDoctor4 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:15 pm

Stoneyboy accurate and to the point as usual. Great stuff!

If viewers are looking for general information on decking then we would direct you to our DIY decking advice pages which have a bunch of useful tips and tricks for whether you are building or fitting plastic decking, composite decking, wooden decking or just wanting to nail a few decking boards to a couple of timbers.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:06 am