Delay Switch for Christmas Display
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jsails
Labourer
Labourer

Delay Switch for Christmas Display

by jsails » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi, I have an xmas display which has a 12v motor which is plugged into 240v through adapter. I want to be able to switch the display on so that it will automatically switch of after a set time. Can anyone tell me if this will be compatible with a delay/lag switch. Thanks. regards, Jim.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Delay Switch for Christmas Display

by kbrownie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 am

There should be no problem with that type of set up.
But if you are planing on scheduled on/off times, a timed socket could be better option.

jsails
Labourer
Labourer

by jsails » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:58 pm

kbrownie wrote:There should be no problem with that type of set up.
But if you are planing on scheduled on/off times, a timed socket could be better option.

hi, kbrownie, thanks for your reply. I wonder if I could pick your brains a bit more. I want to be able to move the display and delay switch around so I was planning to have a post with a cable and 3pin plug for the supply and feeding a female socket on the post to plug the display into and have the delay switch wired in line. This will mean that the display could be switched on and will go off after a set time. The supply will also be covered by an rcd. Do you think that this set up will be ok. If your not sure or you dont quite understand what I mean, please dont worry about replying. Thanks Jim.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:30 am

If the display is for outside use, the components will all require to be IP rated suitable for that environment.
Any electrical components and cable will also require protection against mechanical damage and be suitable for any external influences such as high and cold weather conditions.
Common Sense really.
30mA RCD protection, if using a socket outlet would also be recommended.
If you already have 30mA RCD protection existing on the circuit to be used to energise this set up, then additionally protection would not be required, but will do no harm, although it maybe that the main RCD may trip before any additional protecting.
Having the switch in-line will work, this will require keeping the neutral continuous and forming your switching through the live/line conductor.
Also were required keep your earth continuous to.
If the pole is external, make it at a height that will not be troubled by ground water, flooding or extreme splashing, also make sure this pole can be fitted securely, and I would also advice on having some form of double pole isolation within the house to isolate this equipment.

jsails
Labourer
Labourer

by jsails » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for reply, I should have said, this is for indoor display. What you have said is very much what I thought but thanks for confirming that this setup would work ok as I thought that I read somewhere that a delay switch without relay was not suitable for a motor, but I think I must have been reading something else. Very much grateful for your advice. Thanks.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 am