Depth of electricity supply cables...
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DrRocketMan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Depth of electricity supply cables...

by DrRocketMan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:50 pm

Boy do I feel stupid!

Today I managed to nick the main electricity supply cable to my house with a mini-digger. Took out the transformer fuse and with it the supply to five neighbours while they were cooking Sunday lunch. :( Still at least I wasn't hurt!

Three guys from eon turned up and two hours later they'd repaired the damage I'd done... which was a tiny mark on the cable but enough to push the neutral into the live and take out the transformer.

I had a thought... yes I know I should've been a lot more careful and I'm a bloody idiot for not realising... but how deep should I expect the electricity suppliers cables to be buried. I measured mine at 37cm... the "official" depth recorded by eon was 40cm. I thought cables had to be buried at least 45cm. I'm sure they'll charge me an arm and a leg for the call out. Do you reckon I have a leg to stand on on the grounds that the cables weren't deep enough?

Thought not!

Appreciate an views (apart from ones which point out what a berk I was!)

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:04 pm

Hi, no matter what depth the cable was at it should have had either concrete covers over marked 'electric cable - danger' or some way above it there should have been yellow marker tape with 'danger electric cable below' in black bold print.
Depth used to be 18"/45cm but now as long as marked as above no set depth, common sense says over a fork/spade depth in a garden though!!!
regards, & good luck, you may not get a bill,
SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:35 am