We have a 12 year old apartment. It's been let fir the last 7 years with no problems and before that we lived in it. Our new tenants are complaining of a severe problem with mould and damp in all the rooms. The furniture and walls are mouldy. It's ventilated, the heating is fine, no leaks, boilers fine, windows all open properly, double glazed with vents. The management company checked the walls and removed some bricks outside and it's bone dry. We've given them a dehumidifier and it's not helped at all. What on earth is causing it? They dry their clothes in the apt but so did we and we never had mould. Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Does the appt have extractors in the kitchen and bathroom, and do the tenants use them. Maybe they like long hot showers and do a lot of cooking involving boiling water for long preiods.
Usually damp occurs due to lack of ventilation,but it could also be due to penitrating moisture.Drying damp clothes inside a warm room is also a good way to introduce mould.
Each room needs to breathe,you can install trickle vents in each window,fit airbricks in the walls,or simply leave a window slightly ajar.