DeWalt cordless drill - hammer action
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
garfield59
Tradesman
Tradesman

DeWalt cordless drill - hammer action

by garfield59 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi,
This probably sounds like a really daft question but how do I select hammer action on a Dewalt DC988 drill? The instructions indicate that the collar with all the torque settings on should be turned to select the" hammer shaped" icon. Unfortunately, I can't get the collar to line up with the icon and looking at the design of the collar I don't see any way it can be aligned with anything except numbered torque settings.

I don't suppose it's as simple as Torque No1 is for masonry? I know I could try it but don't want to wreck it by doing something stupid!

Any suggestions welcome, thanks

Garfield

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: DeWalt cordless drill - hammer action

by welsh brickie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:22 am

the torque settings are for tighening screws so you dont shred the heads.But I dont really bother with them,so Its always on maximum torque.Just select hammer and away you go.

garfield59
Tradesman
Tradesman

by garfield59 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:54 pm

But that's my point WB. the collar doesn't seem to turn far enough for me to select hammer :(

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:08 pm

then move the hammer setting and press the trigger slowly till the gears engage,if it still doesnt move then its a manufacture fault.

garfield59
Tradesman
Tradesman

by garfield59 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:07 pm

WB, tried what you said and it didn't work. Also changing from gears 1 to 2 and 3 was sometimes stiff.

Gearbox clearly u/s so exchanged drill for new one this morning - result! Now able to select all three gears and hammer action!

Thanks for the assistance, your final diagnosis was right.

garfield

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:34 am