Diagnosis for heating not reaching max temperature
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nickynoo
Labourer
Labourer

Diagnosis for heating not reaching max temperature

by nickynoo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi, I have a Glowworm Ultimate 55F boiler, the solenoid and PCB fuse have recently been replaced since one caused the other to go (not sure which way round).

At the same time, I had the old Hortsmann heating control and Potterton thermostat replaced; as the control was knackered (timing pins not working) and it seemed sensible to replace thermostats at the same time.

The heating and controls work, but the house is cooler than it used to be. I borrowed a decent thermometer from work to test room temp. It never reaches 23 degrees. If you turn the thermostats down, the boiler does switch off around the 23 degree mark making me think there is no problem with the thermostat and it must be the boiler. Also, with thermostat at 30, radiators are pretty hot. All have been bled too.

Can efficiency or something else in boiler have been affected by solenoid replacement? Previously, I presume that the house could reach a temp of 30 degrees since old thermostat/boiler combination used to switch off at 30 when reached.

Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:44 am

30 degs C = 86 degs F thats hot. 23 deg C = 73.4 deg F still quite warm. If radiators are hot then boiler can't do much more. There is often a control to set the temperature of radiators since electric is used 70 deg C is max allowed for radiators. Although I am sure many people set them higher. TABLE 42.1 is regulation.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:35 am

christ, i set mine at 20C and thats warm. if you need it much higher you must be loosing a lot of heat somewhere. 19c-22c is the norm.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:07 pm