Diaphragm Kit replacement on Halstead Combi

Postby Miroslav » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:25 pm

I have just received a new Halstead Sanitary Diaphragm Service Kit. The boiler is Halstead Wickes Combi 82.

We have lost hot water but CH is still working fine. In order to have hot water we need to switch CH on. I was advised to replace Diaphragm kit.

Can any one advise me how to do that and what to be aware of please?

Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:56 pm


Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:55 pm

The diverter diaphragm will probably be torn or stretched through use and age. To change the diverter diaphragm firstly turn off the electric supply to the boiler and drain the heating side. Turn off the cold supply and open hot taps and allow to drain.

When you remove the diverter check all ports for limescale and sludge, cleaning as much as possible. The limescale can become quite hard and will be enough to tear the diaphragm. Use silicone grease to grease all moving parts for example the spindles inside the diverter valve.

When you take the valve apart be careful as it will probably be fitted with a spring take apart carefully so you can see where all parts go for re-assembling. Fit the new diverter diaphragm and push the plunger up to make sure it is free to move (hope this is the correct boiler i'm thinking about, will either be a plunger type spindle or a fulcrum arm) anyway pushing the valve up will make the spindle appear from the valve or the fulcrum arm to move down both will operate the microswitch.

I'm pretty sure it will be the spindle that will operate the microswitch on your boiler.

BUT if its a fulcrum arm and it does not move when the plunger is pushed the fulcrum arm will probably need replacing too.
htg engineer
Posts: 3219
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Postby Miroslav » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:37 am

Thank you for your help. The boiler works fine again! Mirek
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:56 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics