different pipe sizes on my rads?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
glezgaman
Labourer
Labourer

different pipe sizes on my rads?

by glezgaman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi there guys,

This is my first post so i do hope that this is a new prob, anyho i am remoding my bathroom moving things about the thing is all my rads have been plumbed with micro bore copper 10mm but the towel rad i bought i would like to fit 15mm copper pipe i just want to know if this can be done without changing all the micro bore there is 6 rads on the system would this cos any prob with the flow in the system which is a potterton gas boiler hope i have gave enough info.....

Big Thx

GleZgaman

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:59 am

I'm not an expert but the way I understand it is that small bore pipe is fine as long as it is only feeding one radiator. I assume that the valves you have are for 15mm so you have a choice between buying new valves or fitting a reducing joint to the pipe before it comes into the valve. Either way it should be a simple task for someone with basic plumbing skills.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:42 pm

It is best to keep all pipework the same on a system, mixing pipe sizes can cause problems with balancing, you can get 15mm-10mm reducers that will allow 10mm pipe to connect to 15mm radiator valves.

Where would you take the 15mm flow and return from ? connecting 10mm pipe to 15mm pipe would be pointless, so you'd have to tee the 15mm into the 22mm flow and return, which will be more work.

The best bet would be to use 10mm pipe with reducers to use the 15mm radiator valves.

htg

glezgaman
Labourer
Labourer

by glezgaman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:56 pm

cheers for the replys guys it was a bit of a daft Q anyhow but i got there anyway had to re-plumb my whole bathroom waste pipe wasent as hard as i thought but all is working fine what i did was take the old rad and the pipes and replaced them with 15mm copper pipe and all seems well lol thats the wife for you wanted the bath sink rad and the toilet in all different places lol cheers for now....

GleZgaman :)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1