Different types of Paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Billy Nomates
Apprentice
Apprentice

Different types of Paint

by Billy Nomates » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:28 pm

I am redecorating my bedroom. I have already stripped the old paper off my walls and taken DIY Doctors advice Emulsioned the walls.
I have now rubbed down the woodwork and undercoated.

I have two very large wardobe doors which have had a coloured stain or varnish put on them. I have used sandpaper and rubbed these down.

I was told if I emulsion them first I could then use a Gloss paint for a finish.
I am now recieving conflicting advise in that If I put gloss paint onto emulsion it will eventually crack and start to flake.

What is acrylic Gloss Paint ??

How do I overcome this problem.
I want the skirting boards,door frames and the wardrobe doors to be the same brilliant white. Or should I look at a contrasting colour for the wardobes :oops:

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:03 am

Hi, acrylic gloss is a water based paint instead of the usual oil based type. Personally I only use the oil based ones. If you are using undercoat and gloss for the rest of the woodwork then use the same on the wardrobe doors. Using emulsion on them you could get problems later on unless you are lucky.

Billy Nomates
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Billy Nomates » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:53 am

Thanks for the advise.
Unfortunately I have already emulsioned the doors (not the skirting boards)
Now I have some concerns what problems have I stored up unless I am lucky ?.

I have also found it very difficult to cut in the emulsion walls to the white cieling is there an easy way to do this or is it just a very steady hand and a fine brush. I don't want to mess this up because I will worry over it looking untidy and messy if I don't get it right
Once gain thank you for all the advise you have given me so far.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

Hi, if you have already emulsioned the doors then be very careful when you put the gloss on them. You need to be very careful when sanding them before you do it to make sure that all little bits are off them and that they are nice and flat. They could peel when being sanded. As for the cutting in then yes it is a steady hand for this. Not so much a fine brush. I find that a 1 and a half inch brush or 2 inch brush works well. You need to get the paint on at the top of the walls as thickly as the rest of the walls or you will see difference in the colour. Usually if you have painted the ceiling and gone just over on to the top of the walls you wont notice if you don't quite get the paint to top when you come to do the walls. I am talking 8th of an inch or so. Good luck with it.

Billy Nomates
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Billy Nomates » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Thank you shedman for all your help.

I have taken your advice on everything that has been done and I am pleased with the result.

I am going to paint the coving area again and then do as you suggest with a steady hand re cut into the wall with the coloured emulsion.

Hoping that I have learnt a great deal from you I am pleased for the first effort

Looking forward to redecorating my baby grandaughters room with more confidence.
Once gain many thanks for your advice.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 am