digital shower installation - part p?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

digital shower installation - part p?

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:48 pm

hi,

as this is plumbing/electrics i have posted on both forums...

i am installing an aqualisa axis digital shower that requires an electrical feed via a 3amp fused spur (i would therefore prefer to take the feed via tee in the lighting loop rather than ring main spur due to its location).

now, would this require part p? initially i would assume so as its a shower and clearly bathroom, HOWEVER:

this is a DIGITAL, not ELECTRIC shower, it is plumbed directly to the hot and cold and there is no electrically powered heating element. the electrical supply is for the microchip processor unit only which is not going to be in the bathroom but in the attic above. so is it part p?

obviously there are electrical connections to be made in the bathroom but these are via two low voltage cables (feeding the shower on/off push button controls, one inside the shower cubicle and one outside) that came supplied with the shower. these leads have plugs on either end that connect to the push button controls that actuate the shower (at one end) and the appliance in the attic at the other end. as they are low voltage cables carry very little current and they are supplied from the appliance and not directly from the wiring circuit, would it still require part p? the appliance itself is not in the bathroom.

instinctively i would think that it is part p but then would it be?

thanks!

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:31 pm

I know with kitchens where the electrics are built into the units with a pre-fab format it does not require Part P. I am sure building controls would take your money if offered but I know what I would do. Sometimes a little common sense is required. I am sure if I hunt I can find some regulation that says you can't come off lights but again I am also sure I would come off lights after all they are also covered with RCD under new regs. The only excepting would be is building controls were already involved then I may be a little more careful in reading the document it is available as free down-load and there are links in projects section.
If your worried fit an RCD but as long as the unit is designed for bathroom use I can see no problems. Do follow makers recommendations i.e. if they say it needs RCD then make sure there is one fitted.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:52 pm

thanks ericmark, good advice as usual. there is no specified requirement for an RCD, though the house is protected by an ELCB (30mA) and the lighting circuit has an MCB at the consumer unit. and of course there is the fuse in the spur unit. however, based on your comments i've decided to fork up a little extra dosh and fit an RCD fused spur, for peace of mind.

i shall read the document that you refer to, for interest as much as anything. building control not presently involved.

thanks for your help.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:06 am