Dilemma. Is it necessary to fit noggins in my ceiling.....?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aberamanboy
Labourer
Labourer

Dilemma. Is it necessary to fit noggins in my ceiling.....?

by aberamanboy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to this forum so please bare with me. As the subject line suggests, I'm in a dilemma whether or not to fit noggins before boarding an upstairs ceiling.

The beams are 4" x 2" with approx 17" centres. I have ordered 1/2" boards (8' x 4') and plan to mount them length ways across the beams, trimming the short ends so that they fall in the centre of a beam and fixing with screws every 8". Sound OK so far?

The bit I'm slightly wary of....... the boards will butt against each other along the long edge and be fixed at every beam (7 beams), is there a need to fit noggins between the beams along the long edges of the boards for extra fixing points?

I hope I have explained this clearly, please help.

Cheers.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi aberamanboy,
It will help stop the board from sagging between joist if you fix noggins, 1/2" 0r 12mm boards can weigh a bit and do sag so i'd recommend you did!
Regards
KB

aberamanboy
Labourer
Labourer

by aberamanboy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:39 am

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. I should have asked this before.... what size timber should I use for the noggins? Is 2x2 big enough? Nail or screw them to the joists?

Thanks agaian.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:17 pm

aberamanboy
2x2 would do fine, i'd always use screws, but drill pilot holes first. Reduces the chance of timber splitting and screws are easier the fit and control.
Good luck
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:32 am