Dimmable lights in the bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
token
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dimmable lights in the bathroom

by token » Sat May 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Looking for advice on whether this is possible.
Bathroom was refitted a year ago and I had a dimmable pull switch fitted that worked great with the 8 x 20w LV downlighters. Unfortunately, a plastic rocker inside the pull switch got too warm and the switch only lasted for a few months. The replacement did the same, so we are now back to a standard pull switch.
With the new touch/remote dimmable switches I was wondering if it was possible to get the same effect, obviously fitting the touch plate outside the bathroom. I could site this just outside the bathroom door, on the landing wall that backs on to the shaver socket, so easy to drop a cable down to, replacing the one that leads to the pull switch about a foot away (viewed from the loft).
I figured that as the switch is outside the bathroom, it would satisfy safety regulations - am I right? Can I fit this or do I need to get it certified under the new building regs (the refit was all done by professionals)? Is there anything special I should be aware of - the lights are fed by two transformers in the loft, I was planning to use 1.5mm2 cable.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun May 04, 2008 4:57 am

I would think you are OK with your suggestion. But you will need to select the dimmer recommended by makers of transformers it's not a case of anything over 160 watt it depends on electronics in transformer (inverter would be better name) as to how the waveform is chopped by the dimmer and it must match it is not just a case of using dimmable transformers with switch for use with transformers.

token
Apprentice
Apprentice

by token » Sun May 04, 2008 10:37 am

Many thanks. Would I be best replacing the existing transformers (probably 5 years old) with new ones from the dimmer manufacturer?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:26 pm