dimmer and downlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gary1200
Labourer
Labourer

dimmer and downlights

by gary1200 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:23 pm

I would like to install 10 12v fire rated downlights in a new room, each with their own transformer. Is it necessary to have a dimmer switch matched to the transformers or can I use a conventional 240v? also will 1.5 T+E be ok for the light circuit?
On a seperate matter I would like to install a spur socket in the cupboard under the stairs where the gas meter is. Is this allowed according to regs?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: dimmer and downlights

by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:07 am

[quote="gary1200"]I would like to install 10 12v fire rated downlights in a new room, each with their own transformer. Is it necessary to have a dimmer switch matched to the transformers or can I use a conventional 240v? also will 1.5 T+E be ok for the light circuit?
On a seperate matter I would like to install a spur socket in the cupboard under the stairs where the gas meter is. Is this allowed according to regs?[/quote]

GARY
I would put these downlighters on a separate circuit first of all.
when you buy your downlighters , u can ask 2 match them 2 the relevant dimmers and transformers. 1. 5 mm2 would b fine.

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:22 pm

“717.528.3.5 No electrical equipment including wiring systems, except ELV equipment for gas supply control, shall be installed in any gas cylinder storage compartment.
Where cables have to run through such a compartment. they shall be run at a height of less than 500 min above the base of the cylinder(s), and such cables shall be protected against mechanical damage by installation within a continuous gas-tight conduit or duct passing through the compartment.
Where installed, this conduit or duct shall be able to withstand an impact equivalent to AG3 without visible physical damage.”
This does not strictly apply to houses although “528.3.3 Where an electrical service is to be installed in proximity to one or more non-electrical services it shall be so arranged that any foreseeable operation carried out on the other services will not cause damage to the electrical service or the converse.” does and anything which can cause a spark should not be mixed with gas. The flame proof regulations are very tight and even as an electrician I can’t fit flame proof equipment without very special training.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:53 am