Dimmer on a two way circuit

Postby tedius » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:28 pm

I've just installed some new halogen lights (on a track) in the living room. This all went find, and I have now replaced on of the switches with a dimmer switch.

This is a standard 2-way 400w push dimmer switch. The problem I have is that if I leave the standard switch in the on position then I can use the dimmer with no problems, but if I leave the standard switch in the off position then the dimmer switch has no effect. This also means that if I turn the lights off with one switch then I can only turn them back on by using the same switch. Is this normal when putting a dimmer switch in a circuit (before I put the dimmer switch in it all work as you would expect a two way circuit to work)

Another point I think I should mention. The house is about 18 years old and has a Loop-in lighting circuit, and in the switch I replace I had two wires coming in;

1. red, black and earth
2. red, and earth (This is the one that takes power to the light)

So I have 1.red and 1.black connected to the L1, and C respectively and 2.red is connected to L2, with both earths attached to the earth in the switch box.

Does all the sound right or am I doing something wrong?
tedius

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi, very unusual way of wiring a 2 way sw. would normally have 3 core/E
You say that one red 'is the one that takes power to the light' if u r sure about that then it is the one that should be in the com. term. not the black, which should have red sleeving/tape on it btw.
it seems the wiring was done with a tw/E looped between sw. as 2 way 'strappers' and a single core+E takes Live to one sw. and single+E takes sw.Live to light.
This is how it would be wired in conduit system using all single core wiring, never seen it done this way, but ......
Regards SPARX
sparx

Sort by
Order by