dimming lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deepee
Labourer
Labourer

dimming lights

by deepee » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi can any one tell me why my lights dim for a split second when ever I use my kettle or microwave.The lights in question are fluorescents. Many thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:07 am

The standard fluorescent fitting has a very narrow band of voltage at which it will work at below 220 volts they will often fail to switch on and at 200 volts even if already running they will fail and in other direction at 250 volts they can take nearly double the design current which is why they normally contain a fuse. This is assuming design voltage of 230 with older fitting it may have a 240 volt design voltage.
There are other types of fluorescent called high frequency which look the same as the ballast and starter type but have a much wider operation voltage range 200 – 250 volts with same current draw is common but they cost around £50 compared with £10 for standard fluorescent the tubes last longer even though it is the same type of tube and no strophic effect and there are also battery backed versions and most commercial premises will use these more expensive fitting to both reduce electric bill and reduce maintenance. I have one in my house at the top of the stairs fitted about 1991 second hand and never changed a tube. Very handy in power cut as I can see my way down the stairs but not sure I would spend that much on kitchen lamp?
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:38 am