Dimplex Storage Heater Thermostat - Repair or Replace
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

GrumpyMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dimplex Storage Heater Thermostat - Repair or Replace

by GrumpyMike » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:59 am

Hi,

I have a Dimplex XT18 (series G) storage heater.

The input thermostat has become over-sensitive, i.e. it switches the electricity off after only an hour or two of heating up, even on the hottest setting. The end result is the storage heater never gets very warm and the room remains cold.

It seems the thermostat needs replacing, however the manufacturer has stopped making them (strangely, I can still buy thermostats for older heaters). Until recently you could buy conversion kits allowing a different model of thermostat to be fitted instead - but this has also been discontinued.

Any idea where I might be able to source a new thermostat from? Or any suggestions on how to fix the old one - I've removed it the unit and have tested it in hot water (no power obviously!), it's a simple bi-metallic strip operated electrical switch, it does still work (in the sense that it flips from on to off as the temperature rises) but it no longer operates at the correct temperature. I could probably adjust it by jamming a screwdriver in it and twisting the bimetallic strip, but there's got to be a better mechanism isn't there?

Currently it seems my only other option is to buy a complete 2nd hand storage heater from ebay, or invest in a brand new one.