Direct Feed Unvented system - I want to change a tap!!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
evavou
Labourer
Labourer

Direct Feed Unvented system - I want to change a tap!!

by evavou » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:14 pm

One of the kitchen taps teeth have sheared and the tap is just spinning round - so I had the chance of a new set of taps from a friend.

Decided I would change them this weekend...

I turned off heating - shut off the cold water under sink and also turned off the stop cock underneath the hot water tank on Saturday - opened the tap in the bathroom (which is upstairs next to tank) to drain and also the taps downstairs - all drained ok but them I realised I only had 1 wrench!! So had to stop….

Sunday - I turned off heating - then slightly differently (not due to any reason) hot water first then the cold under sink - then opened the taps downstairs only - however it seemed to take ages for the hot water to drain and then the system started making some very weird groaning noises - different to Saturday….so I stopped opened both valves and all is working normally.

I am doing things right and the groaning noice is normal as the water leaves the pipes or was my system about to explode!!

Cheers
Paul

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:15 am

I think the only problem you might have is if it turns out to be the wife that's groaning!

I should just carry on regardless of any noises, Provided you have turned both hot and cold off as you describe then you can't come to much harm.

jim the plumb
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jim the plumb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:44 am

I imagine you've changed the tap already.

You don't need to turn the heating off - just turn off the hot water on the programmer.

Turn off the cold mains tap and run all the taps until the water stops running. For the broken tap, use some grips to open it.

Fit your new taps and then close all the taps.

Open the cold mains tap to bring water back into the house. Check your new taps for leaks.

Open each tap slowly in turn until air has been removed and the water flows freely.

Check for leaks at the new taps.

Turn the hot water back to its setting on the programmer.

Job done.

HTH jimbo

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:49 am