Dishwasher removal - please help

Postby jimb7174 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 am

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum so please be gentle - I have searched but cannot find anything in relation to my issue!!!

:cry: The problem is the house I recently purchased has granite work tops in the kitchen; the problem is that the previous owner appears to have used some sort of glue - it looks like he has used Pink Grip - to glue the worktop to the top of the dishwasher. All good until the dishwasher breakdown and replacement needs to be installed.

As you are aware granite is a very brittle material and I obviously do not want to damage this in anyway does anyone have any recommendations that I should try??

:idea: I was thinking of the following - I understand white appliances come with screw able feet so you can raise and lower the unit - in theory I am planning on unscrewing the feet and using a support to hold the work top am hoping the weight of the dishwasher will break the bond and no damage the work top alternatively if that didn't work I was going to simply use a saw to cut through the glue but really need to know how aggressive I could be with the granite........any ideas??

Do you think I am on the right lines - the last thing I want to do is damage this work top but I have to say after having a dishwasher in the home for 8 years the last 6 months of washing by hand is now beginning to wear very very thinly!!!!!

If anyone has any input I would gladly love to hear it alternatively just wish me luck as this w/e is D-Day!!!!
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:03 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!