Distance from meter to breakers
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marc craven
Labourer
Labourer

Distance from meter to breakers

by marc craven » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Could anyone please tell me if there is a maximum distance between the electric meter on the outside of my house, and the fuse box (breakers) inside my house. I am having the electric supply moved to allow for an extension. The fuse box is currently directly above the electric meter. The work involved seems massive to extend all the wiring to the circuits of the house, but extending the supply to the meter seems much simpler.Can anyone help?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:21 am

Standard meter tails are normally limited to 3 meters but by using different cable then you could run cable for miles. The problem with a house is any hidden cable needs to be either special type or protected with an RCD. So over 3 meters you are looking at steel wire armoured or mineral insulated cable. The latter is neater but requires more skill to fit.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:59 pm

as Ericmark says max distance usually 3 metres max before main switch.
Normal way if going to move consumer unit farther away is to insert a sw/fuse unit within 3m of meter and then no limit to distance to con-unit
eg www.qvsdirect.com cat.item's qd db700 & qd hsf80
your 'part p 'registered leckie doing this notifiable work should know this!
regards

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:55 am