Diverter valve hot to touch on a switched off system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mswift
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mswift » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Since I have been unable to find an answer to my question on this site I have registered to post this question.

I have not been using the central heating system for some time - neither the CH or DHW. I noticed yesterday that the Honeywell diverter valve is hot to the touch. The pipes entering/leaving the valve are cool. I turned the boiler pilot light off last night off just to insure that the system is not firing. This makes no difference. As far as I am aware the power to the system is off.

Please forgive if you think this is a dead obvious problem. I'm just worried in case of a fire risk.

Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:20 pm

mswift,
If the operating head is hot try turning off the electricity to the CH system.
If this solves the problem you need to investigate.
If the body is hot and none of the pipes connected to it are hot you have an impossible occurrence.
end

mswift
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mswift » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:29 pm

stoneyboy thanks for your reply.

When you say switch off the electricity to the CH system do you mean just at the control unit (Honeywell) or do you mean some other way which stops the frost thermostat from overriding the control unit?

At the moment the system is off at the control unit (both CH andDWH) and the frost thermostat is set at -5C.

Does the CH system have its own trip switch on the consumer unit?

Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 pm

mswift,
Somewhere, probably near the boiler or the controller there should be a fused spur for the heating system. You could also look in you consumer unit to see if there is a dedicated circuit for the heating system.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1