DIY Floating Shelves with Scaffolding Boards - Help Needed
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
charlotte123
Labourer
Labourer

DIY Floating Shelves with Scaffolding Boards - Help Needed

by charlotte123 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:14 pm

So I'm completely new to DIY, house decorating etc. but I thought I'd be adventurous and try out floating shelves with a couple of planks of old scaffolding I have.

Turns out its actually more complicated than I thought and I'm finding it hard to find advice specifically on what I'm trying to make.

I have an alcove in my room with brick walls thats 1.9m wide, so I'll be cutting my scaffold boards to 1.9m long, theyre 35mm thick and 22cm wide.

I've been to B&Q and Wickes and neither do floating shelf brackets on their own, they both only sell as part of floating shelf packs, but I really like the idea (and cheapness) of recycling rustic old wood that I can sand and stain nicely.

So basically my question is, is this project practical? Will these shelves be too heavy to put up as floating shelves? Or will it be fine as long as I get brackets thick enough and long enough? And also, which kind of brackets do I need? I have a 18mm wood borer so potentially will be getting 18mm thick brackets to insert into my shelves, but will this be strong enough?

h1ddendanger
Labourer
Labourer

Re: DIY Floating Shelves with Scaffolding Boards - Help Needed

by h1ddendanger » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:19 pm

You will need something like this (note the supported shelf depth and height they are suitable for):

https://www.sdslondon.co.uk/concealed-s ... ixing.html

h1ddendanger
Labourer
Labourer

Re: DIY Floating Shelves with Scaffolding Boards - Help Needed

by h1ddendanger » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:23 pm

the first link is perhaps a bit too lightweight for your shelf depth.

These are better - they support 25-40 mm shelf thickness and 160-300mm shelf depth

https://www.sdslondon.co.uk/concealed-s ... 50-mm.html

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:51 am