DIY-replace garden shed window - can I do this?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Telegram Sam
Labourer
Labourer

DIY-replace garden shed window - can I do this?

by Telegram Sam » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:20 am

I am trying to work out if it is possible for a DIY bloke (me) with only basic tools and even less woodworking skills to replace a simple window in an old garden shed as part of a "restoration" project. The original frame c. 56 x 62 mm has largely rotted away but the surrounding wood structure is OK. What I have unearthed on the net (YouTube and the like) all assumes greater experience (and more advanced equipment) than I have - selection of saws and a Black & Decker Workmate. Are there DIY window kits available that provide the components or profiles pre-machined for the user just to cut to size and fix together? Or is this a job for a qualified carpenter?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: DIY-replace garden shed window - can I do this?

by welsh brickie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:17 pm

give it a go whats the worst that could happen, if you go to a good timber stockist they will rip the wood down to the size you need, you can hire the equipment or start building your tool kit check ebay for the tools you want
good luck

Telegram Sam
Labourer
Labourer

Re: DIY-replace garden shed window - can I do this?

by Telegram Sam » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm beginning to think that if there's not an idiot-proof DIY kit available, for what's involved it would be more practical / less costly to ditch my pride and get the local joiner to do his stuff. Much that I'd like to invest in all the flash gear from eBay it would hardly pay off for a small job like this.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:24 am