Do building control check diy electrics
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
muffs11
Apprentice
Apprentice

by muffs11 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:19 pm

I am currently doing a house conversion in mid wales and my uncle who was a qualified electrician some years ago, but does not now hold the necessary certificates- has offered to rewire the whole house. I have heard from a third party that this is fine as building control will come and check the installation for a small fee, is this true please reply asap!!!!!![/b]

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

by arbco » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:08 pm

Yes this is true. An application will be required if your uncle is not part of a competant person scheme.

muffs11
Apprentice
Apprentice

by muffs11 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:02 pm

How do i go about the process of the application, do i just notify building control of my intentions regarding my uncle doing the electrics ?

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

by arbco » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:36 pm

Local Authorities often have slightly different systems i.e. some inspect the work themselves and others employ third party companies. Your uncle may have to produce a sort of cv detialing his experience so they can assess the level of check. Does he have city in guilds and testing electrical works qulaifiactions. Have a look at the councils website and this should tell you, and also let you have a building notice and the fee.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:56 pm

May be a bit late but the certificate for a new installation has provision for three signatures.
Designer
Installer
Tester
If your uncle is allowed by building control to sign the first two then may be better to get someone else to do testing mainly because the test equipment is so expensive. There is a link in projects to the gov Part P and you can down load the document which gives sample forms etc. Well worth down loading also be aware on July 1st the new 17th Edition wiring regulations come into force which may change the way you would want to wire a house. New cables and/or use of RCD's new volt drop limits etc.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1