Do i need a flue liner? for woodburner.

Postby geordiebilly » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:29 pm

I currently have a gas fire with an open chimney and want to fit an inset woodburner, Do i need to fit a flexable duct/flue?

many thanks billy.
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:19 pm


Simply Build It

Postby eggers » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:47 pm

not normally i believe, so long as the chimney is properly built, only applies if you changing from one gas appliance to another
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Postby Spankrino » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Not sure if I will complicate things but I am installing a wood burner into an existing fireplace and after so much reading I'm going blind, I believe you would need to install a liner.

Wood/Coal produces tar and other substances that will over time work their way into the flu brickwork and could, temp permitting reach its flash point and catch fire (aka chimney fire).
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Postby eggers » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:09 pm

then i stand corrected, i only work gas fires on them to fix or service them, during which i check the flue integrity and catchment area. Not yet installed one myself
Last edited by eggers on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Postby Perry525 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:43 pm

How old is the house?
An old house will have a parged chimney.
A more modern one will be lined.
Each chimney is designed for a specified sized and type of fire. A modern chimney will have a plate showing the chimneys limitations.

You require council permission to change a chimney in any way, talk to them.

Only approved people may alter a chimney.
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics