Do i need to damp proof my internal walls ?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
shreddie102
Labourer
Labourer

Do i need to damp proof my internal walls ?

Post by shreddie102 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:03 pm

I have a victorian school with a slate damp course in the external walls. I am planning on putting in a damp course into the mortar above the slate damp course of these walls.

My question is do i need to put the damp course into the internal walls as well as the external walls , seeing as these internal walls are also sitting the earth below ?

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:25 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

Inform Timber and Damp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Inform Timber and Damp » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:10 pm

A damp proof course is installed to protect against rising damp, rising damp will therefore affect internal walls - infact will tend to affect internal solid walls more. External walls will tend to be affected by penetrating damp and condensation, therefore i would advise that you have to identify the cause of the damp before spending on a type of action.

fix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fix » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:12 pm

I have abit of rising damp on an internal wall. It comes about 30cm up from ground level and I guess it's from the cellar.

I'm abit worried about injecting a damp proof course into the wall and the damp going elsewhere under the floor,can anyone tell me if I should be worried or will it be ok?

Thanks

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:58 am