Do I need to install a damp course ?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bluenose
Labourer
Labourer

Do I need to install a damp course ?

Post by bluenose » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:35 pm

My house is 120years old, solid 9inch brick, no cavity. floor levels are well above external levels but all ground floors have been tanked at some time (approx 1" thick) The plaster above the tanking has gone soft and has extensive efflorescence which is a mess. Was originally diagnosed as condensation so install heat revovery systems, did not fix plaster issues though. I intend to strip all plaster from walls but would it be best to remove tanking and install a cream dpc, could only install from one side?. I want to have one wall as bare brick, this is an internal wall so can't understand why is also tanked. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:37 pm

bluenose,
When you refer to tanking I assume you are referring to a concrete based render which has been applied to the lower part of the walls. This should extend up the walls about 1m. If plaster above this level is going soft you have other issues which need addressing.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:16 am