Do I need to move my boiler?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DHunter
Labourer
Labourer

Do I need to move my boiler?

Post by DHunter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:33 pm

I have recently moved into a new house and contacted British Gas to service my boiler, it is a combi boiler in the kitchen, they claim that they are unable to service it cause they can't get one side of it as it's too near the wall, however ive heard Scottish Power has serviced it the past 5 years.

Do I have to get my boiler moved by an inch or can it be serviced?? Is this an expensive job to be done as it also means moving a couple pipes leading from it?

Im really unsure if they are just trying to make money out of me by having to move it or not and can any corgi engineer do the job?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Check manufacturers instructions - it'll tell you what clearances are required.

or

Get Scottish power to carry out service - lol

htg

eggers
Ganger
Ganger

Post by eggers » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:33 pm

which boiler is it? chances are the engineer you had has worked on them before and struggled trying to replace a component, probably the dhw plate heat exchanger or a diverter valve because of poor clearances.
Could be that there is a known circumstance where there is a known fault that occurs and so they have to check a certain aspect of the boiler. A good example is the old potterton Netaheats (not a combi) which can rot through and become dangerous, etc.
British gas engineers are req'd by company policy to take on every boiler they visit on a first visit unless there is good cause not to. As much as i hate to admit it, i know...
As for selling, the engineers are pushed to cell Carbon monoxide detectors, magnetic filters, scale reducers, not re-siting boilers.
And unfortunately it's not always just the case of moving a few pipes, it is also a case of re-siting the flue, etc etc

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1