dodgy Electrician.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
murphy
Apprentice
Apprentice

dodgy Electrician.

by murphy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:18 pm

Hi. Whilst working for a customer today(Building a wall) a sparky came to give the lady a price for changing three light fittings. When she told me his price i nearly choked on my coffee. one hundred and eighty pounds. He said it would take all day as he had to test circuit afterwards. Surely this is not right. Can somebody give me the going rate so i can advise customer.
Cheers Murphy.

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:19 am

assuming no wiring has to be done. i.e all the cables are long enough & have earths, then in my opinion £30/light is top whack.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:34 am

I earned £120 per day cards in so must have been charged out at double that so £25 per hour is reasonable you say a days work so at that rate quite within reason. But to change three lights does not take full day I would expect two hours max so it is the time that is questionable. Does it include travel time. My son has traveled 200 miles to do inspection and testing someone is paying for that. Maybe not straight change and cables need fitting? Does it include price of fittings? So question is why would it take a day? Before saying price is over the top which as kuzz says one would expect £60 total find if there is something she has not told you. Also maybe he did not want the job often people quote high prices in order not to get contract! But before saying the price is over the top just make sure it is just change three fitting and not something more.

Eric

murphy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by murphy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi, forgot to say that fittings supplied by customer, so straight change over. Does that require testing of the circuit as suggested?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am