Dodgy old circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kitten2310
Labourer
Labourer

Dodgy old circuit

by kitten2310 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:04 am

I bought a 1930s house 3 years ago and my former partner was slowly renovating it. However, I am now single and have just taken over the renovations and have found that the old electrics are somewhat wrong. I turned off the mains electric to change a light shade and the radio in the kitchen stayed on. All the sockets in the kitchen stayed on. All the sockets and lights in the rest of the house went off. This is extremely worrying and unsafe and I'm not sure who to contact first.

A. Should I contact the electric board to have a look at it?
B. Should I contact an electrician to have a look at it?
C. Is it going to be an expensive job to have fixed?

As far as I can see the electrics are still the same as when I bought the house, I have not had any work done on it so this is a pre-existing problem. I've looked at the wiring and it appears that a wire is bi-passing the circuit board and going upstairs but I'm not sure where it goes.

Can anyone advise me on what to do or recommend someone who can fix it without ripping me off. :?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:44 pm

Hi, answer 'B' the look see should not cost too much, and then a quote will follow to correct fault, which will give you an idea as to costing
regards SPARX

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Dodgy old circuit

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:49 pm

[quote="kitten2310"]I bought a 1930s house 3 years ago and my former partner was slowly renovating it. However, I am now single and have just taken over the renovations and have found that the old electrics are somewhat wrong. I turned off the mains electric to change a light shade and the radio in the kitchen stayed on. All the sockets in the kitchen stayed on. All the sockets and lights in the rest of the house went off. This is extremely worrying and unsafe and I'm not sure who to contact first.

A. Should I contact the electric board to have a look at it?
B. Should I contact an electrician to have a look at it?
C. Is it going to be an expensive job to have fixed?

As far as I can see the electrics are still the same as when I bought the house, I have not had any work done on it so this is a pre-existing problem. I've looked at the wiring and it appears that a wire is bi-passing the circuit board and going upstairs but I'm not sure where it goes.

Can anyone advise me on what to do or recommend someone who can fix it without ripping me off. :?[/quote]

KITTEN 2310
THE ELECTRICITY BOARD R AN OPTION.
IF U CONTACT A ELECTRICIAN THEN HE WILL BE ONE WHO
IS PART P REGISTERED AND A MEMBER OF ONE OF THE
COMPETENT PERSON SCHEMES, ECA,NAPPIT, NICEIC ect.
DEPENDS ON WHAT THE CONDITION OF INSTALLATION
IS LIKE AND WHAT HAS BEEN DONE TO CAUSE THIS
SITUATION.
EITHER CHOICE GET SOMEONE COMPETENT IN ASAP.

BLAKEY1963

kitten2310
Labourer
Labourer

Dodgy old electrics

by kitten2310 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:48 am

Can anyone recommend an electrician in Huddersfield area? Preferably one that will turn up when they say they will and won't rip me off.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Dodgy old electrics

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:16 am

[quote="kitten2310"]Can anyone recommend an electrician in Huddersfield area? Preferably one that will turn up when they say they will and won't rip me off.[/quote]

KITTEN
IF NOBODY ON THIS FORUM CAN GIVE AREA INFO, THEN GO TO
TRUSTMARK.ORG.UK AND A LIST OF AFFILATED TRADERS
WILL COME UP WHEN U TYPE IN AREA.
ECA, NAPPIT, ELECSA, BRE, NICEIC CONTRACTERS WILL BE RECOMMENDED AND ALL THESE SCHEMES HAVE CODES OF PRACTISE
TO PROTECT U THE CONSUMER, AND THEY WILL CHARGE ACCEPTED
REASONABLE RATES. U CAN GET AND COMPARE RATES.

BLAKEY1963

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:12 am