Dodgy push fit toilet sink waste
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dr Magyar
Labourer
Labourer

Dodgy push fit toilet sink waste

Post by Dr Magyar » Mon May 17, 2010 11:33 am

I bought a property a while back and it has a small toilet room with a sink. Of and on it has had sewer gas smell which I recently traced to the waste of the small sink.

Lots of problems with the sink, like it was not installed level so that none of the plumbing fits properly.

Anyway, I also noticed that the waste is an embedded plastic push fit elbow, the small part of the elbow sticking out of the wall. Inside the elbow joint is a single rubber ring seal.

Is this normal? What is the best way to make this truely water tight and air tight?

I don't want to have to dig into the wall and start a major building operation.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue May 18, 2010 7:09 pm

Dr Magyar,
Separate the joint and use sanitary silicone sealant on the mating surfaces of the joint.
end

Dr Magyar
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Dr Magyar » Wed May 19, 2010 8:04 am

stoneyboy wrote:Dr Magyar,
Separate the joint and use sanitary silicone sealant on the mating surfaces of the joint.
end

I have read somewhere that although this might work in the short term, after a while sanitary silicone sealant will start to leak.

Is that true or an I unduly worried?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu May 20, 2010 8:07 pm

Dr Magyar,
Provided you apply the silicone to clean and dry surfaces there should not be a problem. If this is not successful you will have to dig out the elbow and replace it.
end

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:49 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:55 am