dodgy walls
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
webs
Apprentice
Apprentice

dodgy walls

by webs » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi there
Iv'e just stripped our walls this weekend to see what state they are in ,but it's a bit of a mixed bag.Some of the original plaster is cracked but solid ,in other areas its blown from the wall, plus somebody else has tryed to fill in the cracks and holes but have made a pigs ear of it.

(1)I have thought of knocking off the old plaster in the bad areas then fillin and skimmin the walls.but i want to try and keep the dust aspect as low as possible .

(2) is to plaster board over the old stuff(ie) dot and dab then skim.But would the boards come away with the old plaster.

any advice would be welcome thanks.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:07 pm

Hi webs, You can dot 'n' dab on top off plaster but in your case not recomended as weight of board probbally pull plaster away and down comes the boards. It is a messy job knocking off old plaster, but if a jobs worth doing... as the saying goes.
Only other suggestion would be to knock off areas of plaster down to brick/block work. So you could apply board adhesive directly to bare wall and plasterboard, would be a bit of pain. Be brave knock it all the bad off, well I would!
Best Luck
KB

webs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by webs » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:45 pm

Cheers Kbrownie
Alas (" big sigh") its startin to look that way that im gonna have to knock it off.
Just one last go at tryin to get out of makin lots of mess.
could i mark out on the walls where i want my board adhesive to go ,then knock back to the bricks in those places then leave most of the plaster on the rest of the wall,then put my board on. What do ya think

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:10 am

Hi again webs,
You certainly can, you may find that the plaster that has been left on the wall in time, will start to fall behind board. No big problem, just hear it now and again. Sometimes old plaster is very dry and porous so drinks up any liquids that's put on to it. So I sometimes soak these types of wall with a diluted pva mix, the plaster wall will soak this up and it makes the plaster stick/bond back together. That could prevent the old plaster from falling behind wall and you can put some dabs on it too.
Good luck hope this info was usefull to you.
KB

webs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by webs » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:06 pm

thanks for the extra advice k brownie .let the games commence ,roll on xmas

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm