Does a room need windows ?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Devallon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does a room need windows ?

Post by Devallon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 pm

I want to split a bedroom into 2 rooms. To do this the created room will have no windows as the original room only has one. I could put a velux in the roof, remove the ceiling and build a plasterboard tunnel to it as this would give light and ventilation. But what about fire safety ? Is it a legal conversion ? Does anyone have any experience of this.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

SPUD1701
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by SPUD1701 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi

You will probably need Planning permission for this proposed window and you will also need Building warrant.

Any apartment in a property should have a window for daylight, ventilation and in some cases an alternative means of escape, depending on type and height of the floor level above the finished ground level.

You also need to check as you may find that it is not allowable to go from the proposed bedroom through the other bedroom to reach a bathroom.

I advise you speak to the Local Authority who will advise you on what the requirements are.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1