Does this neon switch exist?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bexley
Labourer
Labourer

Does this neon switch exist?

Post by bexley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:30 pm

I want to replace a 1 way light switch with a neon switch whereby the neon will illuminate when the light is on and go out when it is off - simple as that - or so I thought!

The switch controls a remote light. There are 2 wires behind the existing switch (plus the earth) a red and a blue. There are no more wires. I'm looking for a switch that can be connected using no additional wires or alterations.
I know there are switches available where the neon is on to enable the switch to be seen in the dark but this is not really what I'm looking for.
I've tried a 4 terminal neon switch by connecting one of the wires to L input and the other to L output. The light comes on but not the neon. If I change the L ouput to the N output, the neon comes on, but not the light.
I realise this may not be meant to be used as a light switch, but it's the closest to what I'm looking for.
Any suggestions how I can get this to work? Better still, does the sort of switch I'm looking for actually exist?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi,
your problem is that their is no neutral at your switch just live in & sw-line out to light.
by the way are you sure of those colours ? r+blk old wiring Brn+blu new wiring, only way you can have red + Blue is if cable is old 3 core &earth with yellow cut off.
The neon switches you mention that work as a 'switch-finder' take live from feed Red, and connect back to neutral via the lamp in fitting, they can cause low energy lamps to flicker/glow when turned off! Ghostly!!
The blue you have should be sleeved/taped red as it is a live not Neutral.
sorry don't know of a way to do what you want without getting a neutral to the switch,
regards Sparx

bexley
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bexley » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Sparx
Your right about the colours. The wires are just L and L/s .

Though there is no neutral wire, the neon works with 1 of the wires connected to the output N and the light works if the same wire is connected to the output L. With that in mind, what is your opinion of the switch working correctly if output L and N were joined with a separate wire?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:04 pm