Doesn Anyone Know what These Are - Possibly Taps for Thread Cutting?

Postby greengrass » Wed May 21, 2014 10:21 pm

What are these which appear to be some sort of taps for thread cutting.
RESIZED .jpg (29.6 KiB) Viewed 356 times
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:27 pm


Simply Build It

Postby proptech » Thu May 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi greengrass

They are stud extractors. A hole is drilled in the remains of a broken stud, the extractor inserted and turned anticlockwise with a tap wrench.
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Postby greengrass » Sun May 25, 2014 12:36 am

Thanks proptech I shall keep them in a safe place and note down what safe place so I don't go searching in the garage muttering 'where the hell did I put those &*$)**? extractors. My apologies for being late in thanking you. Greengrass
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Postby plumbbob » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:06 pm


I have only ever once had a success with these. What happens is, it's far too easy to snap the extractor off leaving a hardened piece of steel that can't be drilled, stuck in the stud and it eventually takes far longer to sort that out than if you drilled the stud and re-tapped the hole in the first place!

They are not that strong, and unfortunately, there is no warning that it's about to fail. Just "snap" and then %&?@.
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Postby woolyhead » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:59 pm

They were ofter referred to as "easy outs" but as stated above it wasn't always easy to remove the stud. They are left hand taper-taps. Always use the biggest size that goes in comfortably and don't drill the biggest possible hole in the stud even if it is done without drilling away its threads because you must retain some strength in the stud or it will snap off. Drill diameter chosen is a compromise and a matter of judgement.
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics