door lining/casing
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neckandears
Labourer
Labourer

door lining/casing

by neckandears » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:10 pm

hi can somebody please explain the difference between a door lining and a door casing thanks :?

richvhurst
Labourer
Labourer

by richvhurst » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm no expert but I think the door lining is the frame of the door that the hinge attaches to and is shaped to stop the door flush to the frame. A door casing is the decorative architrave that surrounds the door - at least that's what wikipedia said anyway. Hope this helps.

richvhurst
Labourer
Labourer

by richvhurst » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:21 pm

p.s. if you could comment on my chisel post, I would be most grateful. Thanks :)

bazl30
Labourer
Labourer

by bazl30 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:48 pm

to me i'd say they are the same thing.....they are just alternative terms for a door frame.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:47 am

in this country the terms door lining and door casing are really quite interchangeable. go to jewson's you will buy a door lining. the same thing in wickes and it's a door casing.

and strictly speaking the term the 'door frame' actually refers to the structural timber opening in studwork/brickwork that accepts the door lining/casing.

there is similar confusion as to what constitutes a door frame, door lining and door jamb! these days all seem to be quite interchangeable. even professional chippies and joiners don't seem to be able to agree on which is which!

in the US the door casing is the architrave which is perhaps the reason for the abiguity.

oakie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by oakie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:22 pm

A door lining as it suggests is a lining of 3/4" timber with a plant on stop forming the rebate. A casing is the same thing but the rebate is machined out of a solid piece of 1 1/4" timber, forming the 1/2 inch rebate.Yes the side of the frame is called a jamb,but usually a door jamb is the side rail if you like of the door

WGT52
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: door lining/casing

by WGT52 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:21 am

I understand that a 'Door Lining' is made from something like 4x1 with a housing joint at the top; usually installed post brickwork completed. Door Jambs nailed on later.
A Door Casing is is much more substantial made from 4x2 or more likely 4x3 using mortise and tenon joints with Door Jambs rabited in. This would be built in as the brickwork is laid.
Or at least that is what the guy who I was apprenticed to taught me.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: door lining/casing

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:50 pm

Well it's been a while that this thread has been running!

I think that I was justified in my original comment that even professional chippies and joiners don't seem to be able to agree on which is which!

Go into one shop and ask for a lining, you'll get a lining. Go into another and ask for a frame, you'll get a lining. Go into another and ask for a casing, theyll say "do you mean lining or architrave?" and another will say "do you mean the door jamb?".

The guys in the shop may know which is which, they are just used to every tradesperson asking for the same thing in different ways.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am