Door removal and cover up
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
socemental
Labourer
Labourer

Door removal and cover up

by socemental » Thu May 03, 2007 9:05 pm

I'm planning on removing the door between the kitchen and living room, i can get the door and surounds off but what do i do next to cover up the hole, also i'll be making the door through another wall how do i go about this

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri May 04, 2007 7:46 am

See our project on forming openings through walls for the new door. To fill opening you can do this by using blocks as seen in our project called closing a fireplace. The principle is the same, you fix ties either side of the opening and build these into the joints of the blockwork. When blockwork is complete you can plaster using our plastering project. The hole can also be filled with timber studwork to which you fix plasterboard which in turn is plastered. The timber is fixed into the hole using our fixing to masonry project and a frame is built into the opening with an upright either side and one in the midle. The frame also has a top and bottom. You must work out the timber size acoording to the thickness of the walls. The skim plaster finish is about 3mm each side so that is 6mm, the plasterboard is 12mm each side = 24 so the timber must be the thickness of your wall less 30mm.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:29 am