Dorma conversion 20 years ago!!!! Helpppp
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
carlyleeds
Labourer
Labourer

Dorma conversion 20 years ago!!!! Helpppp

by carlyleeds » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:13 am

Hey, Hoping that someone may know the solution to my problem!

We bought our 3 bed back to back terraced 5 years ago from my uncle. He had lived in the house only 2 years and had bought it with an existing conversion of the dorma. The dorma had been split into 2 bedrooms, and by the looks of it was done very well.

We are in the process of selling the property and the valuer came round friday, he spent all of 2 minutes here and went.

We had a call last night from the buyer who has said their accountant has been informed they have been rejected for a mortgage based on the dorma being 'illegal'!

I do not know anymore details as yet, but could someone possibily shead sum light on this.

The only thing I can think of is that the valuer does not realise that its an older conversion and thinks it is new, as it will not comply with the most recent building regs. Or has something new come in that I am unaware off???

I think its very unfair that he can just say its illegal without giving an reason for why!!

Any help with be greatly apprieciated!!

Carly x

carlyleeds
Labourer
Labourer

by carlyleeds » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:52 pm

Just to update

I have since seen the report.

According to the report

1. The Dorma does not currantly meet the most recent building regs.
2. As there was damp on the chimney breast - Which we have had rectified! - the timber may have rot and infestion.

My buyers accountant, has asked that this be sorted and a gureentee be given by my builder - if the timber is good.

Does this all sound ok??

xx

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:03 pm

Carlyleeds

You may need to get confirmation on when the dormer window was constructed. Building regulations approval is required for the majority of building works to a property. If approval was not sought, you need to obtain regularisation from the local authority.

Howver, works that can be proven to have been carried out pre November 1985, are outside the scope of regularisation. So if the dormer is 20 years old, you will neddd to get it regularised. The valuer may have noticed something very obvious to have picked this up, or he will have commented that the loft has been convernted and to confirm that building regulations approval was sought.

Hope this helps.

LCL

carlyleeds
Labourer
Labourer

by carlyleeds » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:05 am

Update:

Had my builder up the roof stripping back to check the timbers - all is well!

Builder is going to write a report and pass on to buyers as this is the point that they were most concerned with. He is also going to write a gureentee for this.

rocky
Labourer
Labourer

Dormer

by rocky » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:45 am

Hi,

We bought a house which had Velor Skylights in... the Council Housing Inspector was 'just passing one day' when he noted (from checking) that there wasn't a 'regularisation'. It means the previous owner put them in but didn't obtain planning permission. To compound this, our tenants (as we were overseas at that time) decided to use the loft as a bedroom - again, the loft was not classed as a bedroom we only used it as a storage area knowing it would have to be re-beamed if we did want to use it for a bedroom and, provide a staircase for health and safety reasons of course.
We were sent a 'snottygram' by the housing officials (after one came to check the fittings) to remark and apportion blame on to us, on the loft which was used as a bedroom, whilst the 'regularising' of the skylights was still going through. It was in fact the fault of our tenants & letting agents that didn't do things properly but we were given the blame. As we were 3000 miles away there wasn't much we could do except, to get it back as a storage area.
To put it in a nutshell, if you're worried about the regulations - contact the Council Housing officials that will put you straight and check to see that there are official documents in the files for that house - your solicitor should have checked ours didn't.
It eventually cost us around £150.00 for regularising so it's not that expensive.
Noticed that your house has been given a certain number of bedrooms which include the loft area ? if so then you will have to get it regularised.

regards

rocky

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1