Dorma conversion leaking
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sbworcs
Labourer
Labourer

Dorma conversion leaking

by sbworcs » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:29 pm

Last year I had the walk-in loft of my dorma bungalow coverted into a bedroom and bathroom by means of a timber framed dorma loft conversion. Since then, during heavy rainfall, I have persistently suffered from water leaking into the downstairs dining room through the window lintel (resulting in cracks running above the window and water on my carpet). At first, I believed it to be the lead flashing and felt immediatly above where the water was entering the downstairs room but having had the flashing and felt re-dressed at this point, the problem has not improved at all. Any suggestions as to where I could look to next for the ingress of water would be much appreciated. I am wondering if water could be entering through the bedroom window above and running down behind the timber and UPVC cladding or possibly from a higher point on the roof, perhaps through the flashing to the side of the dorma where it meets the roof tiles? Also, I am struggling to get the builder who worked on this project to a) admit any liability and b) do anything about it. Any suggestions how to handle this?

Bus Godden
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dormer leak

by Bus Godden » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:34 pm

A photo or two taken around the offending area would help immensely, but it sounds like a closer on site inspection is what is required.

In any case, it seems by what you imply, the builder is entirely liable for all defects in any work done. I would not have thought that it was your place or responsibility to try to find the source of the leak! If you have paid him in good faith for his services, then surely he is legally and morally accountable to deliver the goods!

Joatmojo

sbworcs
Labourer
Labourer

by sbworcs » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks for the reply.

My digital camera is currently being repaired so am unable to take photo's at the moment.

I spoke to the builder and he is due to be coming out to look at the problem next week.

It only seems to happen in torrential rain (as I write there is very fine rain and there are no drips coming through the dining room ceiling).

Bus Godden
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bus Godden » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:58 am

Trivial, barely noticeable leaks are often by far the most destructive!

Your home should have been left sound and weatherproof after the completion of any building work. That is what you pay for, anything less is unacceptable – otherwise why bother having anything done in the first place?

In the UK a building should be capable of handling all kinds of weather, mild as well as stormy, no matter how extreme; and any shortcomings can usually be attributed to either poor workmanship or faulty materials.

Don’t let someone who has been contracted to supply a service bluff you into accepting anything less than what is rightfully acceptable.

Did you pay for a leak?

(I suppose I really should avoid airing my views after having a pint) (or two!) (Oh well!!)

Bus

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:01 am