Dot and Dab
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sweeneyuk
Labourer
Labourer

Dot and Dab

by sweeneyuk » Fri May 07, 2010 6:44 pm

I am renovating my 1900 terraced house & would be grateful for some expert advise.

The origanal plaster was well shot & falling away in lumps exposing the brickwork on the front external wall.

this is a solid wall with my front door & 1 window.

I want to dot & dab plaster board to ease decoration but have a few questions for all you experts.

1. when using tapered edge plasterboard how to you join & fill the non tapered edge if you only plan to tape & fill the tapered edges?
I see the american/canadian diy shows never plaster their drywall, just fill the joins & screwholes.

2. Will i need to use a foil backed board as its an external solid wall?
no damp issues but have some exposed brickwork.

3. as the plaster has been patched in places in the past i have a very uneven surface to work off. the are areas with render, plaster & some with bare brick. can i just add extra adhesive when dotting & dabbing to bring it all level?

If i was to use insulation backed board like celotex pl3000 will the insulation react with the pvc insulation around electric cables?
Should they just be capped?

Also just a word of warning, steer well clear of crystal double glazing, long story for another post.

Any help appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat May 08, 2010 7:47 pm

sweeneyuk,
Stick with real plastering pref lime based, sealing the wall with plasterboard will trap moisture and lead to damp problems.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:08 pm