Double Front Door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
3magnet
Tradesman
Tradesman

Double Front Door

by 3magnet » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:33 am

We want to replacing our old aluminium door with a double door, made of solid timber. The wood is pine, but 48mm thick and rebated panels with raised mouldings. It is a 6 panel georgian double door.

How would this fair against a 45mm hardwood timber door? I know that hardwood is denser than softwood, but how do they fair on the energy efficiency scale? Could this pine door be used for an external door if painted or varnished with an external wood paint?

The other question is what type of locking mechanism could I use for a double door? What could be the best way to secure the doors? I know that for insurance purposes you are to use specific locking mechanisms, but most are for UPVC doors or regular single timber doors?

Please help!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:29 am

Energy wise it makes no odds and if prepared and decorated properly the softwood should be fine for external use. Most wodden garage doors are softwood. See our projects on preparing timber for help with this. To lock a double door 1 side has to be bolted tyop and bottom and then the same insurance specifications with regard to locks apply as to a single door. Talk to your insurance company re the bolts they would prefer you to use.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:18 am