Double garage conversion-internal wall??
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gmac00
Labourer
Labourer

Double garage conversion-internal wall??

by gmac00 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:59 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of getting one half of my double garage converted into a family room. Drawings where completed, planning permission granted quickly and the builders are starting on the job. They have partitioned of the two garages with a timber frame and chipboard and will insulate the put plasterboard on and plaster. My question is…………….do they normally not brick up the gap between the garage and the new room or is it always just plasterboard and timber??? My wife is cracking up about not having a wall separating the two area's. I know I should have checked the drawings more carefully!!!

Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Cheers

Graham

PS

Sorry for not being too technical I am not that good when it comes to stuff like this ;-)

thedoctor3
Tradesman
Tradesman

by thedoctor3 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi Graham, Fire regulations would insist that the partition between the garage and living accomadation was constructed in a fireproof material. Usuarly block or brick but timber frame is OK provided the cladding complies with fire retarding specifications. Better check this out. PS. The door would also have to comply.

gmac00
Labourer
Labourer

by gmac00 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I will check with the builder.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:00 am