Double Glazing - Install New Glazing into Integral Garage
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nearlyman
Tradesman
Tradesman

Double Glazing - Install New Glazing into Integral Garage

by Nearlyman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:35 pm

A surf of the x2 glazing section failed to cover my issue. I wish to make an opening in the outer garage wall of my relatively new build, timber framed, brick skinned, house (10 years old) so I can have natural light coming into my integral garage via a x2 glazed UPVC window. At this time I have to forever be turning on and off the fluorescent lights I installed: I use the garage as a workshop and am in and out of there "doing" several hours a week - the developers 'generously' installed only a solitary pendant light - the very minimum requirement. In case it should be asked there was indeed no technical or building control/planning reason why the developer elected to omit this very useful and, I might say necessary feature, in this small but very modern design house - only money. But, they still charged me a whopping £270K for it. This was more than I received for my previous modern, then 10 year old, detached house (barely a mile from where I now live) which did have a full spec UPVC x2 glazed window in the attached garage.
My issue is I have spent hours trawling the websites to find out the proper way to apply DPC's and cavity closures to a new window opening BEFORE offering up the new window. I've tried several times to contact my local BCO but all I get is an answerphone on which I leave the obligatory message and, to date, have yet to receive a call back. Hence, the question: what is the correct procedure or, where can I find a detailed pictorial explanation of what is required by planning and/or the dreaded approved document L and all its subsections as well as, of course, the step by step procedure. My leader notes on my drawings, with appropriate refs to the relevant 'approved document' or BS spec appear to have been sufficient, so I never did need to know exactly HOW to do it; I had only to make sure it was noted on my drawings.
I am keen to attempt this myself - I have designed garage conversions and two storey extensions for other people, which have "sailed" through planning, but always the work has been done by qualified builders/ double glazing companies where the windows were concerned and I was never around when that happened.
I do also need to know best practice for preparing and sizing the new opening and fitting a 1 m x 1m UPVC, double glazed unit, but I am sure this is covered elsewhere on the forum.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Double Glazing - Install New Glazing into Integral Garage

by welsh brickie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:31 am

if you want to install a damp tray above the window, you need to remove the brickwork 2 courses above, and use a wide dpc nail it to the inner frame and fix it to the frame,
For the reveals on the inside and the head use plastic flat board

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:00 am