Double glazing
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jimbobswatson
Labourer
Labourer

Double glazing

by jimbobswatson » Wed May 13, 2009 4:51 am

13 05 2009

I am new to this forum (or any forum!) so please forgive me if I am asking questions which are silly simple or are old.

I have foggy double glazed sealed units in three of my windows. I am quite handy DIY wise. I have observed that replacing these units should be quite simple, but have found it terribly difficult to obtain precise advice on how to proceed and what to expect.

I would be grateful for some help.

1. In order to remove the existing unit, I need to remove the beading on the outside of the window.
What is the best way to do it?
Should I insert a chisel between the glass and the bead, parallel to the glass, or should I force a chisel between the bead and the window frame (UPVC) at right angles to the glass? How much force should I use? Do the beads come out easily or are they stiff? Will the beads break or can I expect to re-use them?

2. Try as I might, on the internet, I CANNOT find a simple and straightforward site which provides me with local suppliers of sealed units (without massive promotion of their FITTING services). I just want a local manufacturer or supplier of sealed units. I also want prices. It seems impossible to get this simple information.
I live in Bolton, Lancs. Can anybody help in this respect?

I would be grateful.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed May 13, 2009 10:32 pm

jimbobswatson,
Normally to remove the DGU you need to prise out the inside rubber strip around the window, the DGU can then be pushed inwards and the beading prised out from its outer edge (not the edge nearest the glass).
You can now measure the size of the DGU but you may need to take it out completely to measure the thickness.
Get replacement units from a glazing merchant.
end

jimbobswatson
Labourer
Labourer

by jimbobswatson » Fri May 15, 2009 12:34 am

Stoneyboy

Thanks for yours. The information will be very useful.

By the way, in order to measure the thickness, I intend to rig up a pair of calipers which I can pass through a small light above the CGU that I intend to replace.

I am impressed by your extensive knowledge, brevity and common sense!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon May 18, 2009 9:39 pm

jimbobswatson,
Thanks for reply but I would suggest you remove at least one DGU to check its thickness - even 2mm out will mean the replacement units will be useless.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:50 pm