Double Light switch into two singles?

Postby mdemetri2 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:51 am

Hi there,

Grateful for some advice and info here. I currently have a double light switch that operates the light in the living room and the light at the top of the stairs (there is also a single switch at the top of the stairs to control the light in the upstairs landing). Hope this makes sense so far....

What I would like to do is create to single switches from this double switch so that I can have a dimmer for the living room and a normal switch for the upstairs landing plus continue to use the upstairs light switch also.

First of all is this possible? And secondly if I try do this myself is there any way that I could damage the wiring if I wire it all up incorrectly, as there are quite a few wires behind the double switch.....

Many thanks in advance.
mdmemetri2
mdemetri2
Progress to next rank:
7.7%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:25 pm

I think you can get a grid switch to combine a dimmer and two way switch on the same plate.
And of course incorrect wiring will likely cause damage depending what is done incorrect.
ericmark

Postby shaun250 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:09 pm

[quote="ericmark"]I think you can get a grid switch to combine a dimmer and two way switch on the same plate.
And of course incorrect wiring will likely cause damage depending what is done incorrect.[/quote]the easiest way out is to change the switch with a two gang dimmer. providing that the back box is deep enough.
shaun250
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!