Double Light switch into two singles?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mdemetri2
Tradesman
Tradesman

Double Light switch into two singles?

Post by mdemetri2 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:51 am

Hi there,

Grateful for some advice and info here. I currently have a double light switch that operates the light in the living room and the light at the top of the stairs (there is also a single switch at the top of the stairs to control the light in the upstairs landing). Hope this makes sense so far....

What I would like to do is create to single switches from this double switch so that I can have a dimmer for the living room and a normal switch for the upstairs landing plus continue to use the upstairs light switch also.

First of all is this possible? And secondly if I try do this myself is there any way that I could damage the wiring if I wire it all up incorrectly, as there are quite a few wires behind the double switch.....

Many thanks in advance.
mdmemetri2

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:25 pm

I think you can get a grid switch to combine a dimmer and two way switch on the same plate.
And of course incorrect wiring will likely cause damage depending what is done incorrect.

shaun250
Labourer
Labourer

Post by shaun250 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:09 pm

[quote="ericmark"]I think you can get a grid switch to combine a dimmer and two way switch on the same plate.
And of course incorrect wiring will likely cause damage depending what is done incorrect.[/quote]the easiest way out is to change the switch with a two gang dimmer. providing that the back box is deep enough.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:54 pm